Official Tourist Board Website
Call us today! 01723 383636

Refine your search

Type of Event

 

Visit Date

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Event Name

 
 

Outdoor Event:Whitby Lions Boxing Day Dip at Whitby Beach

  • Blue Flag

Outdoor Event, Sat 26 Dec 2020

Whitby Lions Boxing Day Dip

Whitby Lions Boxing Day Dip

Businesses across the Yorkshire Coast are getting ready to reopen and welcome you back. Please check the individual website for reopening dates, opening times and booking details.

We recommend you follow current public health advice and maintain social distancing.

Details

It is becoming somewhat of a tradition in our beautiful little seaside town to enjoy a rather refreshing dip in the North Sea on Boxing Day Morning. After all, what better way to cure your late festive blues than participating in the fun and friendly charity event in aid of local community charities?

This fun and frantic event has now been running over the last 45 years, seeing numbers soar from a handful of local citizens to over 150 eager individuals travelling from far and wide, desperate to run into the wintery ice cold waves of the North Sea. Although as you’d expect, you are more likely to see the big numbers witnessing the excitement from the side-lines.

The intention is of course that the Boxing Day Dippers get sponsored, with 80% of funds raised donated to the charity of their choice and the remaining 20% helping many local charities that are supported by Whitby Lions each year. It is also a great opportunity to raise money for a special charity close to your heart to say thank you for all their efforts and support during the year. The Boxing Day has become a traditional family friendly event with many families meeting up after Christmas Day to spending a lovely Boxing Day morning together.

2015 saw over nearly £9,000.00 raised, with this year hoping to raise even more funds for local causes. The event kicks off at 10am on Boxing Day morning, with registration and fancy dress judging taking place at the Bandstand, followed by a casual jog into the sea.

Registration forms available from The Whitby Pet Shop, 15 Station Square, Whitby for this fantastically fun Boxing Day Dip event. Whitby Lions would like to thank the St Johns Ambulance Service and Whitby Diving Club for providing safety and medical cover and also to Esk Valley Coaches.

Children welcome

Event details

Dates Times
Sat 26 Dec 2020

Address

Whitby Beach,
Whitby,
North Yorkshire,
YO21 3EN

Location

Directions

See location of Whitby Beach on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: NZ 894114  Lat: 54.49005 Long: -0.62138

By Road:
Directions By Road:From A1(M)/M1 jct 45 take A64 east (York ring road south). Follow A169 from Malton through Pickering over the moors to A171 jct. Turn right to Whitby and follow West Cliff signs. Other routes, A171 from Middlesbrough or from Scarborough.
Parking is available along the West Cliff, the beach can be reached on foot or via the cliff lift during the season.

Parking: free

Parking: with charge

Facilities

  • Children welcomeChildren welcome