Frequently asked questions

Here at Discover Yorkshire Coast, we want to make sure you find everything you need for your visit. So we have listed below some of our most frequently asked questions.

Q: Can I reserve or pay for parking in advance of my holiday?
A: You can purchase a parking permit for use in the car parks across the borough by telephoning the Tourism Bureau on 01723 383636, giving at least two weeks’ notice. Permits are available for two days or more and can be used to park your vehicle overnight in any 24-hour car park, and are transferable so they can also be used for days out.

For a list of our car parks and more information on parking please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Alternatively, you can purchase a permit over the counter from:

Q: I have a blue badge - where can I park?
A: Blue badge parking information can be found on the North Yorkshire Council.

Q: Where can I hire a mobility scooter or wheelchair?
A: Information about mobility aid hire can be found on our getting around page.

Q: Where are the public toilets?
A: Information about public toilets across the borough can be found on our toilets page.

Q: What are the tide times?
A: Information can be found on our tide times page.

Q: Where can I get a street map?
A: You can purchase a Scarborough, Whitby and Filey Street Map by telephoning the Tourism Bureau on 01723 383636.
Alternatively, there are various outlets across the borough that stock our maps.

Q: Where can I get information about local buses?
A: You can pick up bus timetables from the Travel Centre, Scarborough Railway Station.
You can also get bus travel information over the telephone or on our travel information page.

Q: When are the cliff lifts open?
A: There are two cliff lifts in Scarborough and one in Whitby. You can find further details including opening times here:

Q: Can you send me leaflets of things to do, eating out, etc?
A: You can find information right here on our website!

Alternatively, you can check out our brochures online.

Q: Can you send me an accommodation brochure?
A: You can order an accommodation brochure.

Q: Can you help me find disabled-friendly accommodation?
A: You can search for accessible accommodation right here on our website

Q: Do you sell discounted attraction tickets?
A: You can buy, over the counter, discounted attractions tickets from:

Discount vouchers are available in our Discover Yorkshire Coast attractions and events guide, which you can download or order a printed copy via our website.

Q: Where can I get a parking disk?
A: Parking discs (clocks) are available free of charge from local shops and businesses. You can also collect one from:

Q: Where can I get a Radar (disabled toilet) key?
A: Many charity shops sell Radar keys. You can also purchase one from:

Alternatively, if you cannot find what you are looking for or need any further help or guidance, please telephone the Tourism Bureau on 01723 383636.